Definition of cookie
Cookies are short pieces of text (letters and/or numbers) that allow the web server to store on the client (the browser, e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Opera) information to be reused during the same visit to the site (session cookies) or later, even after days (persistent cookies). Cookies are stored, according to the user’s preferences, by the single browser on the specific device used (computer, tablet, smartphone).
A cookie may not recall any other data from the User’s hard disk or transmit computer viruses or acquire email addresses. Each cookie is unique to the User’s web browser. Some of the functions of cookies can be assigned to other technologies. The term “cookie” refers to cookies and all similar technologies.
According to the characteristics and the function of the cookies, we have two typologies:
- Technical cookies. These are cookies used to navigate or provide a service requested by the user. They are not used for additional purposes and are normally installed directly by the website owner. Without the use of such cookies, some operations could not be carried out or would be more complex and/or less secure, such as home banking activities (display of the statement of account, transfers, payment of bills, etc.), for which cookies, that allow you to perform and maintain user identification within the session, are indispensable.
The technical cookies used by the user, may be divided into the following sub-categories:
- Navigation or session cookies, by means of which you can save your browsing preferences and optimize your browsing experience. These cookies are fundamental to navigate the site using all its features, such as the maintenance of the session and access to reserved areas. They are necessary because without them it would not be possible to provide the services requested. These Cookies do not collect information to be used for commercial purposes.
- Analytics cookies, which let us acquire statistical information on the modalities of navigation of the Users. Such information shall be treated in an aggregate and anonymous form. They collect and analyse information on the use of the site by visitors (pages visited, number of accesses, time spent on the site, etc.) to optimize the management of the site. Such information is treated in an aggregate and anonymous form, and these Cookies do not collect information that can in any way identify the user.
- Functionality cookies, also of third parties, used to activate specific functionality of the site and necessary to provide the service or improve it. They allow the user to navigate according to a set of selected criteria (such as language or another variable selected) in order to provide the user with a better browsing experience. The information collected by this type of Cookies are anonymous and do not allow to identify in any way the user.
- Profiling cookies (not operating on this Site). These are cookies used to track the User’s online navigation and create profiles on his tastes, habits, choices, etc..Thanks to these cookies, advertising messages can be transmitted to the user, and they would be in line with the preferences already manifested by the same User in the online navigation. For more information about these cookies not used by the Website, please visit the appropriate section on the website http://www.garanteprivacy.it/cookie
Purpose of the treatment and objective of session technical cookies
- cookies with data completed by the user (session identifier) which last just for a session or persistent cookies limited to a few hours in certain cases;
- authentication cookies, used for the purposes of authenticated services, of the duration of a session;
- security cookies focused on users, used to detect authentication abuses, for a limited duration;
- session cookies for media players, such as cookies for “flash” players, of the duration of a session;
- session cookies for load balancing, the duration of a session;
- persistent cookies for the customization of the user interface, of the duration of a session (or little more);
- cookies for sharing content through social plug-ins of third parties, for members of a social network who have logged in.
The Data Controller therefore informs that technical cookies (such as those listed above) are operational on the Website, as they allow essential functions such as authentication, validation, management of a navigation session and fraud prevention and allow, for example, to identify whether the user has had regular access to areas of the site that require prior authentication or user validation and management of sessions related to various services and applications or storage of data for access in the safe mode or the functions of control and prevention of fraud.
The Data Controller also informs that technical cookies are operational on the Website, by means of which we acquire statistical information on the way Users are browsing. This information is processed in aggregate and anonymous form through Google Analytics with anonymous IP.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service provided by Google Inc. (“Google”). Google uses the Personal Data collected in order to track and examine the use of this online space, complete reports and share them with other services developed by Google. This integration of Google Analytics makes your IP address anonymous. Anonymization works by shortening the IP address of the Users within the borders of the Member States of the European Union or in other countries party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases, the IP address will be sent to Google servers and abbreviated within the US.
Personal data collected: Cookies and Usage Data.
Management and removal of cookies
Cookies may be directly managed and deleted by the User’s browser. To delete the cookies, please use the following guides:
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/it/kb/Eliminare%20i%20cookie
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=it
- Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/it-it/internet- explorer/delete-manage-cookies#ie=ie-11
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Windows/12.10/it/deleteprivate.html
- Safari: https://support.apple.com/it-it/HT201265
If the browser of the User is not included in the list, or the links are unavailable, the information on the cookies management can be found on the specific guide of the browser in use.